Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Coyote Encounter

On the morning of Wednesday the sixth, at about 7:20 a.m. I encountered my first coyote in the wild, alone. This is something I have been expecting and anticipating, I have felt it in my heart for a while. I knew going to Boynton Park just after Dawn may result in a situation like this, I did not know it would happen the first time I have ever visited these Woods so early. I think the reason I was so reluctant to make an early visit to these woods was because I could feel their presence, even from inside my home which is very close to Boynton Park. At seven in the morning, the woods are still alive with the nocturnal, they own the woods, the paths, the territory. I would consciously be invading their space.

The closest encounter previous to this occurred last December when I was painting in the woods. It was cloudy, and quiet, just like that Wednesday except more foggy. I was walking up the Meadow Ridge Trail. Just past the Birch Pipe, I thought I caught a hint of reddish-brown fur with a slight mixture of orange and black by the Pine Pathway just beyond the Sap Circle. I was tired and thought I was seeing things. I figured double checking my glance wouldn't be a bad idea. I am very glad I did. Trotting at a quick pace down the very path I walk down many times a week was a wild coyote. It was no Alpha, nor did it appear too large or too strong, but nonetheless it was a coyote. After one enormous and painful beat my Heart dropped. I froze. My breath stopped. Being my first encounter I panicked but realized I may have to defend myself. I grabbed my knife and flipped it open and over a few steps ran to higher ground through ankle deep leaves. Crunchcrunchcrunch. I froze, waited, and listened.

Silence. 
Still as a Statue.
Uncertain excitement.  

A few moments passed. I waited for the coyote to pass. I doubted there was going to be a dangerous situation, but I was prepared just in case. Once the coyote noticed my presence, it ran diagonally off the path and into the thicket of the woods. I breathed a sign of relief. A new feeling emerged within me. I felt slightly stuck. Trapped, in the middle of the woods. I was just a few minutes away from The Clearing and I decided to continue my walk. I kept my wits about me and my knife out. I continued to photograph, no wild animal was going to stop me. I was rewarded at The Clearing with some beautiful landscape shots featuring my favorite trees and a wide, open, blue, cloud-spotted sky. It was warm enough where I could take my hat off and absorb the first rays of the day. Pockets of moisture drifted through The Clearing. 

On my way out it felt good to see other people had finally arrived. As much as I dislike people when you're in the woods alone the sight of another person is often relieving.  I knew the ten minute walk back to the parking lot would be worry-free. I look forward to another early morning walk someday soon.